The Agnes Spencer Charitable Fund

The Agnes Spencer Charitable Fund

The Agnes Spencer Charitable Fund was established in 1957 by Miss Spencer of Marton in Middlesbrough, whose family was part of the Marks and Spencer dynasty.  Following Miss Spencer’s death in 1959 the fund continued with a small Board of Trustees in a much more low key approach and was very active in the 1960s and 70s. In 2014, following a presentation by the Community Foundation on a match challenge programme named Community First, it was decided to merge the Agnes Spencer Charitable Fund with the Community Foundation to ensure the gift and its objectives were protected in perpetuity.