Our Donors

Companies and People

In May 1990 Cleveland Community Foundation awarded its first six grants of between £100 and £1000.

The next four years saw a truly herculean effort to build the Cleveland Endowment Fund, the details of who helped can be found here and in March 1994 the value of the fund exceeded £1,000,000 for the first time, successfully securing the $1,000,000 prize from our American partners; an unbelievable achievement!

Ron was honoured with a knighthood in 1995 for services to Teesside, becoming Sir Ronald Norman OBE. This success was made possible, in part, by the support of our local industry, including many household names who are sadly no longer part of our business community.

Here's the story of some of these companies and the people who helped us realise our dream…

ICI Fund

For the bulk of the 20th Century the name ICI was synonymous with life for the communities on the banks for the Tees. The influence on the growth of the community is incalculable such was its influence.

View Donor

ICI Fund

View Donor

British Steel

British Steel, originally founded by Dorman Long in 1917, the steel produced was used to build structures including the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Tyne Bridge and the Auckland Harbour Bridge. In 1967…

View Donor

British Steel

View Donor

Les Bell Family Fund

The Bells Stores name was a major part of the Teesside commercial scene for nearly four decades with a chain of successful small supermarkets and local stores being the most visible part of the business.

View Donor

Les Bell Family Fund

View Donor

Teesside Power Station

The power station was constructed on a 23-acre site at the Wilton chemical complex near Middlesbrough. Construction of the station began in December 1990 and took 29 months to complete.

View Donor

Teesside Power Station

View Donor

Bulkhaul

Bulkhaul Limited is a British company specialising in global tank transportation of bulk liquids and powders. It was established in 1981 by Steve Gibson in Middlesbrough.

View Donor

Bulkhaul

View Donor

BASF

BASF (Badische Anilin und Soda Fabrik, or, in English, Baden Aniline and Soda Factory) was founded on 6 April 1865 in Mannheim, in the German-speaking country of Baden by Friedrich Engelhorn.

View Donor

BASF

View Donor

The Visqueen Fund

Visqueen is a brand of polyethylene plastic sheeting produced by British Polythene Industries Limited. It is the registered trade mark of British Polythene Limited in numerous countries throughout the world.

View Donor

The Visqueen Fund

View Donor

The Phillips Fund

Phillips Petroleum Company UK Ltd was an American oil company incorporated in 1917 that expanded into petroleum refining, marketing and transportation, natural gas gathering and the chemical sectors.

View Donor

The Phillips Fund

View Donor

Hartlepool Power Station Fund

Originally planned in 1967, with construction starting in 1969, the station started generating electricity in 1983, and was completed in 1985, initially being operated by the Central Electricity Generating Board.

View Donor

Hartlepool Power Station Fund

View Donor

The Rotary Club of Cleveland Fund (Superswim)

This fund was first set up in 1991 to deliver an annual swimming event in partnership with Teesside Council for Voluntary Service, the Rotary Club of Cleveland, and the then named Cleveland Community Foundation, supported by Comcast.

View Donor

The Rotary Club of Cleveland Fund (Superswim)

View Donor

The Fawcett Family Fund

The Fawcett Family Fund was set up to help activities which have the objective of helping early years development for children in disadvantaged circumstances.

View Donor

The Fawcett Family Fund

View Donor

The John William Wilson Fund

Established in 2016, the John William Wilson Fund was set up with a gift to the Community Foundation in memory of her father, this is what she wanted to say about the fund:

View Donor

The John William Wilson Fund

View Donor

William Leech Fund

The William Leech Fund was set up within the Community Foundation following a valuable donation made which ensured that the Foundation was able to win the Caff Mott Challenge and secure $1,000,000 in matched endowment funding.

View Donor

William Leech Fund

View Donor

Northumbrian Water

Northumbrian Water have supported local communities since they began operating in 1974. Quick to embrace the Community Foundation concept, NWL were one of the first major north east companies to directly support both.

View Donor

Northumbrian Water

View Donor

Cecil M Yuill Fund

Local building company Cecil M Yuill were one of the first local businesses to contribute to the establishment of the Cleveland Community Foundation. The fund continues to distribute support on behalf of Yuills. 

View Donor

Cecil M Yuill Fund

View Donor

Northern Rock

Northern Rock Foundation was an innovative initiative in corporate and charitable giving. It was established as an independent charity when Northern Rock Building Society de-mutualised in 1997 and until 2007...

View Donor

Northern Rock

View Donor

Stockton Borough Community Fund

The Stockton Borough Community Fund was established as a result of an innovative partnership between Stockton Borough Council and the Community Foundation in 2011.

View Donor

Stockton Borough Community Fund

View Donor

The Goshen Fund

The Goshen Fund was established in 2008 As a result of a government backed initiative, The Grassroots Match Challenge, where donors setting up endowed funds were supported with match funding.

View Donor

The Goshen Fund

View Donor

John Bloom Law Bursary

The John Bloom Law Bursary was established in memory of John Bloom, a local solicitor and a Trustee of the Foundation. He was passionate about his chosen profession and also about the area in which he was born and worked.

View Donor

John Bloom Law Bursary

View Donor

Tees Valley Leisure

Tees Valley Leisure was set up in 1999 as a not for profit organisation to run all leisure and sports activity in Redcar & Cleveland. The contract for delivery was retendered in 2014 but TVL was not successful.

View Donor

Tees Valley Leisure

View Donor

Billingham Legacy Fund

Following a concentrated fund raising effort by The Billingham Legacy Foundation, the group raised just over £10,000 from local activity. Their aim was to set up a fund to generate income which would provide grants to support the people of Billingham.

View Donor

Billingham Legacy Fund

View Donor

The Agnes Spencer Charitable Fund

The Agnes Spencer Charitable Fund was established in 1957 by Miss Spencer of Marton in Middlesbrough, whose family was part of the Marks and Spencer dynasty.

View Donor

The Agnes Spencer Charitable Fund

View Donor

Godfrey Humphreys Fund

The Godfrey Humphreys Fund is an opportunity and a way to commemorate the family name by financially supporting a student with the same passion for horticulture (or equestrianism).

View Donor

Godfrey Humphreys Fund

View Donor

The Gillham Charitable Fund

Former industrialist Dr Tony Gillham MBE came to Teesside in 1977 as Managing Director of Carless Chemicals, later leading a management buyout to form Chemoxy Chemicals which was later floated at the London Stock Exchange.

View Donor

The Gillham Charitable Fund

View Donor